a revival of the annual summer cultural gatherings
The 2016 Return of the Rocky Mountain Chautauqua
August 6, 2016
ALL EVENTS TAKE PLACE RAIN OR SHINE
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Today’s Emcee: Chuck Loeffler
Beginning at 10:00 AM (Gazebo/Village Green)
- President Teddy Roosevelt (Don Moon) will open the 2016 Chautauqua
- Music by Fox Run bluegrass band following opening ceremony
10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Town Hall and Village Green)
- Demonstrations and exhibits of tole painting (June Rutherford), quilting (Pam Devereux, Black Forest Arts & Crafts Guild), and spinning (Charlease Elzenga-Bobo), and 19th century durable goods and educational exhibits (Ken Aron aka Cohiba Kid) in the Town Hall
- Exhibit by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (Cindy Yeoman) and railroad motor car on the Village Green
10:30 AM – Presentation on Chautauqua/Glen Park by historian Dan Edwards (Vaile Museum)
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM (Gazebo/Village Green)
- Music by Fox Run bluegrass band interspersed with portrayals.
- 10-15 minute portrayals of President Teddy Roosevelt (Don Moon), Dr. Charles Fox Gardiner (John Stansfield), Buffalo Bill Cody (Gene Johnson), and James Ferguson “Jimmy” Burns (Ron West). Portrayers mingle with the audience during the morning.
1:00 PM – 2:15 PM (Town Hall porch)
- Tri-Lakes Friends of the Library Ice Cream Social with children’s entertainment
- Music by Fox Run bluegrass band
2:30 PM – 3:45 PM (Town Hall)
- Legendary Ladies – Portrayal of “Unsinkable” Molly Brown and six other historic Colorado women
4:00 PM – 4:45 PM (Town Hall)
- Film “Summer Sojourn” (Story of the Chautauqua) hosted by Jim Sawatski
4:00 PM – 4:45 PM (Vaile Museum)
- Docent-led tour of Lucretia Vaile Museum
5:00 PM (Gazebo on the Village Green)
- Close of Chautauqua – President Roosevelt
Sunscreen and bottled water suggested for all outdoor activities.
Lucretia Vaile Museum will be open from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 4:00 to 5:00 PM
ALL EVENTS TAKE PLACE RAIN OR SHINE: In case of inclement weather, events scheduled for the Village Green will move to the adjacent Palmer Lake Town Hall and Porch.
Palmer Lake Town Hall, 24 Valley Crescent, Palmer Lake, CO 80133